Wednesday, October 14, 2020 at 7:00 PM
FAT OYSTER Reading Series, the little reading series that won’t quit, is adapting to these Covid days and have changed the format for their upcoming reading to a virtual format.
You are invited to a scheduled Zoom book launch featuring Cornelia Hoogland and Ted Goodden reading from and discussing their new book, a collaboration between a visual artist and a poet, Cosmic Bowling.
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 818 0977 3866
If you have any questions or difficulty with zoom, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Cornelia and Ted are Hornby Island residents and long-time supporters of the Fat Oyster Reading series. You may remember Cornelia’s launch of Trailer Park Elegy at the hall in 2017, a book of poems set at Deep Bay that was a finalist for The League of Canadian Poets Raymond Souster award. Cosmic Bowling is Cornelia’s eighth book of poetry, of which several have been shortlisted for major prizes. Ted Goodden is a visual artist who works primarily in architectural stained glass, sculpture and mixed media. His stained glass windows hang in hundreds of public and private collections, and his work is exhibited in major galleries.
See more about Cosmic Bowling at the publisher’s site: https://www.guernicaeditions.com/title/9781771835374
October 12, 2020
The membership form and PayPal are now working in sync, as they should be. Thank you for your patience.
Happy Thanksgiving! Leslie
CVWS General meetings and Small Writing Group meetings
Due to the present COVID-19 health situation, the CVWS Board has suspended all meetings until further notice.
Online Writing Group Trial
Ian McIntyre (CVWS Vice President) is conducting a trial of a online writing group session using Zoom. If successful, he will offer to facilitate other sessions while we are all practicing self-isolation. Small writing group chairs/facilitators are welcome to contact Ian if they are interested.
Vancouver Island Regional Library
All VIRL branches will remain closed until further notice. However, VIRL’s eLibrary will remain open to everyone who has a VIRL library card. The eLibrary collection contains thousands of ebooks and audiobooks, scores of downloadable music, and hours of streaming movies and TV.
Local Writers who offer writing courses
There are writers in our community who offer writing courses. Please contact the individual instructors to learn more about what they offer and when.
Denman Island’s 18th Readers and Writers Festival
Dates: July 16 – 19, 2020
Registration opens May 1st
For more information, go to: https://denmanislandwritersfestival.com
Due to weather, the next CVWS General meeting on Thursday, January 16th has been cancelled.
News of note that would have been announced at the meeting:
From the North Island Writers Conference Committee:
To all conference attendees – for Saturday, Jan. 25th & Sunday, Jan. 26th
- Wear warm clothing (layer). Classrooms can be chilly, as NIC turns down the heat on weekends.
- Coffee and tea will be available throughout the weekend. Think about bringing your own mug, although cups will be available there.
- There is no lunch facility at the college during the conference. We suggest you bring your own lunch or plan to go to one of many food outlets in the area: Tim Horton’s, Starbucks, MacDonald’s, Subway, Thrifty’s, etc.
- The Words on the Water draw will take place at the conference opening on Friday evening, Jan. 24th. If you are interested, submit your name to email@example.com by Monday, Jan, 20th.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
If you are a CVWS member who would like to sell one or more of your books, here’s how:
- Select 5 copies each of up to 3 titles.
- Insert a slip of paper inside the front cover of each book with your name, title and price. Please round the price off to the nearest dollar.
- Include your biography sheet, bookmarks or business cards, if you have them.
- Deliver to the book selling table near the conference check-in at 8:15 a.m. on Saturday.
- Pick up any remaining books at 4:30 p.m. on Saturday, along with your envelope of book sale proceeds.
Questions about book sales? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Stay safe everyone!