The Comox Valley Writers Society (CVWS) meets regularly from September to June to educate its members on the subject of writing and support them in their endeavours with the written word from concept through to completion.
The CVWS is a proud member of the Comox Valley Community Arts Council.
The CVWS also supports the Writer/Artist-in-residence program of the McLoughlin Gardens Society with a CVWS member representative on their Board.
The CVWS annually sponsors events and projects to promote writers and their contribution to the culture of the Comox Valley:
- 2018 – North Island Writers Conference co-sponsored with North Island College.
- 2017 – Contributing sponsor of the Cascadia Poetry Festival, Cumberland
- 2016 – Sponsorship of Indie Authors Day in cooperation with the Vancouver Island Regional Library – Courtenay branch.
- 2015 – Publication of Writers & Books: Comox Valley 1865-2015 as a contribution to the City of Courtenay’s centenary celebrations.
- 2014/15 – Poetry contest for secondary school students.
The Comox Valley Writers Society encourages member involvement in varied writing and reading opportunities held in the community:
- CVWS Prose & Poetry Reading
- North Island College Writer Here Readers Series
- Red Tree Poetry
- Fat Oyster
- Denman Island Writers Festival
Members of the CVWS are pleased to be invited as speakers/readers to community events. Contact the President for more information.